West Ham face Manchester United in the penultimate game of the season on Thursday night here our 10 facts about our prestigious opponents
1. Manchester United were formed in 1878 as Newton Heath LYR Football Club by the Carriage and Wagon department of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway depot (LYR) Depot at Newton Heath, due to spiralling debts the club were served a winding up order in 1902 In order to raise money to pay the debts the club organised a four day fundraising event, according to legend Club Captain Harry Stafford brought his St Bernard dog Major to the event and attached a collection box to his collar, Major escaped the event and was found by the daughter of wealthy brewer John Henry Davies, On returning the dog Davies made enquiries about the nature of the collection and was eventually persuaded by Stafford to buy the club and wipe away the debt. The club was saved and changed its name to Manchester United in 1902.
2. Davies would go onto finance the building of Old Trafford which was completed in 1910. Old Trafford is one of the most iconic grounds in English Football and has hosted numerous significant matches over the years including games at the 2012 Olympics, Euro 96 and the World Cup in 1966 as well numerous FA Cup Semi Finals and Finals, England Internationals and the 2003 Champions League Final.
3. Bizarrely the record attendance at Old Trafford is not for a United game but for an FA Cup Semi Final between Wolves and Grimsby in 1939 where 76,962 packed in to witness the action
4. United are one of only 5 clubs who have won all 3 European Trophies and the second English Club to achieve the honour after Chelsea. The other clubs to have achieved this honour are Bayern Munich, Ajax and Juventus
5. United have won 20 League Titles 12 FA Cups and 5 League Cups as well as 21 Community shields, the have won 3 Champions League/ European Cups, One Europa League and One Cup Winners Cup
6. United were the first English Club to win the European Cup, beating Benfica in the Final at Wembley
7. United are also the only English side to have completed the treble of Premier League FA Cup and Champions League a feat they achieved in 1999
8. Ryan Giggs holds the record for most appearances for the club amassing 963 over a 23 year career.
9. Wayne Rooney is the clubs all time Top Scorer with 253 in 559 appearances
10. West Ham have played United 138 times winning 43 losing 65 and drawing 30 times. Arguably the most significant meeting was the last game at the Boelyn just over two years ago.